Saturday, April 26, 2014

I make chicken stock at least once a week, often two. To be healthier, I try not to eat the skin on the chicken, but I don't discard it. I toss it back in the container so I can add it to the stock when I make it later in the week. I never buy stock any more. I have a freezer full and I freeze it in different size containers for different recipes.
This week, my daughter had pneumonia and I whipped up a quick stock so I could make chicken and rice soup, which she loves. I have a couple of stock recipes I'll share, but this is just the basic one. I always try to leave a little bit of meat on the bird for the stock. I never eat the wings and leave a tiny bit of thigh meat, too.

Basic Chicken Stock
1 leftover rotisserie chicken carcass
2 stalks of celery
2 carrots
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and halved
Pinch of salt
1 bay leaf
2 peppercorns
6-8 cups of water (you may add more as it boils)

Place chicken, celery, carrots and onion in a stock pot and add 6 cups of water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. When mixture is boiling, add bay leaf and peppercorns. Reduce heat but keep it going at a boiling simmer for 1 hour or more (I usually let it go for 2-3 hours).
You may need to add a little water as it boils down. When it's done, strain and either make a soup or save the stock in containers,. Allow to cool before you freeze them.
I like to pre-measure the stock for recipes and note if I have 1 cup, 2 cups. I use stock in everything: rice, quinoa, couscous and more

NOTE: You will see all kinds of tips out there for skimming stock, never letting it boil, etc. True, my stock is not pristine and clear, but I don't care. It's super flavorful and I am feeding  a family, not a 4 star restaurant. And, my stock is a great way to use the leftover carcass.
Now, occasionally, I will need a quick stock. The key to quick stock is make sure you brake apart the bones and chicken add all the skin and fat and use less water (like 2 cups less). This will make a stronger stock in a shorter period. Boil it vigorously for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment