Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Easy Easter Macaroon Nests




It's not chicken, but it's delicious. For the next few days, I am taking a break from my rotisserie chicken and sharing some great Easter desserts with you.
These macaroon nests are the BEST macaroons I've ever tried.
Instead of just egg whites, I use sweetened condensed milk. My husband came home the other night and I handed him a cookie and he said "I only want half." I said "Trust me, you will want the whole thing. I used sweetened condensed milk." That's his weakness. He took a bite and said "You're right. Can I have another?"


If children are going to be part of the celebration, you have to try my macaroon nests. These are absolutely delicious, and so easy for children to make. There’s only five ingredients and you mix it by hand, so you don’t have to mess with a beater and there’s no flour to spill all over the floor.
If the cookies don’t bake up into perfect rounds, when you take them out of the oven, you can shave off any edges and reshape them slightly while still warm. My recipe only makes about 10 cookies, but they are good size and the recipe can easily be doubled if that’s not enough.

Once you’ve filled the macaroon nests with jellybeans or a candy egg of your choice, them place them on a long platter and use it to decorate the center of the table. 

If you don't like the idea of food dye, leave them white.
These are gluten-free!


Macaroon Nests
Makes 10
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
2 1/3 cups shredded sweet coconut
4 drops green food coloring (optional)
Jelly beans or candy eggs of some sort
Parchment paper
Preheat oven to 325.
In a large bowl, whisk egg white for 20 seconds, until frothy. Whisk in vanilla and condensed milk and food coloring until combined. Stir in coconut until combined.
Spread a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spoon about 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons onto parchment paper and form a nest. Use your thumb to press gently down on the center to make an indentation so you can fill it later, but be sure not to press all the way through. You just need a little spot in the center. If you press through, the cookie may not hold its shape.
Bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool before placing candy eggs in the nest.


No comments:

Post a Comment