Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Where have I been? Iceland. Check it out

My blog has been stagnant for a week because I’ve been in Iceland. I got back Monday, but yesterday was my birthday, so I just focused on me.


But today, I am back at blogging. Tomorrow, I will have a rotisserie chicken recipe, but today I want to share some of my adventure.

Iceland was awesome and so beautiful!

.Back in September, my sister called me and said there was a great Groupon to Iceland for about $800 with airfare and hotel from NYC. The trip included daily breakfast.

I was sold.

Seeing the Northern Lights has always been on my bucket list, so I bought the Groupon on the spot and on Feb, 25, my sister and I were Iceland-bound.

It;s only a five hour flight from JFK and six hours coming back,.









Iceland is home to 130 volcanoes and uses geothermal heat to power the island. It has about 320,000 residents in the whole country, with the majority in Reykjavik.

I came to see the Northern Lights, but I was also excited to see the Blue Lagoon. I have to say, I think the Blue Lagoon ended up being my highlight. It was spectacular.











That's my sister

We spent two hours in the geothermal water. There’s a bar there and they limit everyone to three drinks, which was a good thing because no one was drunk and obnoxious.

After soaking in the water for two hours, we ate lunch at LAVA, a restaurant that overlooks the lagoon. We had a three course meal and it was lovely.



I love how they served the butter on a slab of lava. This sundried tomato bread was unreal!


My beet salad




Pineapple and coconut sorbet

On our third day, we took a Golden Circle tour, which took us to the tallest waterfall in Europe.




Then we visited a geyser. I haven't seen one of those since I was a child




And on our last night, I finally saw the Northern Lights. We tried the first night but didn't see anything. They canceled the tour on the second night because there was a zero out of 9 chance of seeing them.

The last night, it was a 4 out of 9 and we saw plenty of them. Stunning stuff.





Courtesy Dennis Sawchuk








Dennis Sawchuk, a man I met on our tour, took these photos of the Northern Lights. I wasn’t able to capture them.








It was an incredible adventure and I would recommend Iceland for sure. It was my 57th country! Woo Hoo. My goal is to visit 100, so I am almost 60 percent towards my goal.












No comments:

Post a Comment