Monday, January 26, 2015

Chicken and Andouille Po’ Boy with Horseradish Slaw

This was one of my favorite inventions of 2014. 
This photo does not do the level of deliciousness justice. The chicken is hidden under the slaw and sausage is never sexy to photograph.
BUT, the recipe is FABULOUS!
If you like a little kick, and it's only a little, you have to try this!

I love Louisiana food. My husband is from there and we visit every year, but long before I met him, New Orleans was one of my favorite food cities. 

So last summer, I wanted to invent an easy Po’Boy, which is one of my favorite sandwiches.  
All my favorite Po  Boys are fried and I wanted something lighter, so I decided to mix lean chicken breast with spicy Andouille and top it with a spicy slaw. 

The horseradish slaw makes this dish!!! It’s fantastic. You will have leftovers of this slaw, so I often plan either a barbecue meal the next day or even a salmon sandwich. This slaw is great on pork, brisket or salmon. The slaw is best made 2 hours in advance to let the flavors marinate. If you don’t have that time, make one and a half times the dressing recipe for the slaw so there’s more sauce on it.

Andouille is a smoked, pork Cajun sausage and it’s traditionally spicy.  If you or your children don’t like a lot of spice, you could use Johnsonville New Orleans style Andouille, which is not very spicy; or even use kielbasa. If you do like a little kick and you’re in the Springfield area, try Circle B Ranch’s Andouille. Circle B. Ranch is a humanely raised certified hog farm in Seymour. I’ve been there and the hogs graze freely. I like that. You can find the product at Harter House or the Greater Springfield Farmers Market. One bite and you can tell there are not fillers, but it is spicy, so keep that in mind, if you’re sensitive to heat because the slaw has a little kick. You can find more information about Circle B Ranch and where to buy their pork: http://www.circlebranchpork.com


Chicken and Andouille Po’ Boy with Horseradish Slaw
1 (14-ounce) bag cole slaw mix (I like the tri-colored, but plain is fine)
½ cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3-4  tablespoons Sandwich Pal Woeber’s horseradish sauce (if you substitute another horseradish, just taste as you go because sauces vary a lot in terms of heat.I like 4 tablespoons, but 3 may be your limit if you have kids)
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Assemble
6 hoagies or sausage rolls
6  Andouille sausages
2 breasts from the rotisserie chicken, sliced and skin removed
For the slaw: in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar and horseradish. Salt and pepper to taste and cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
Remove the chicken breasts from the rotisserie chicken and cut into slices.
Cook Andouille according to package directions. I often slice it in half just so it lays flat in the bun.
I like to heat my hoagie rolls or sausage buns (I prefer sausage buns), but that is up to you. If you do heat them, I would put them in a 400 degree oven, keep the bread closed, and toast for 3 minutes.

When done, place Andouille in hoagie, top with sliced chicken and then add a big pile of horseradish slaw.  Enjoy! This is a delectable sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment