Friday, January 30, 2015

Chicken Tortilla Soup (Fast and HEALTHY)

Woo Hoo, I did it! Revamped my delicious chicken tortilla soup and transformed it into a wonderful Rotisserie Chicken Queen soup. From start to finish, it took me 25 minutes!

My old version took about an hour and a half and this new version is spectacular! It has more ingredients than most of my recipes but it’s still easy.

If you enjoy the flavors or cumin, cilantro and corn, you should love this. 

And it freezes beautifully, so if you are single or travel a lot, you can easily freeze it.  There’s about six servings in a pot and I ran the ingredients through one of those calorie calculations, and it has 311 calories a bowl. It was rated B+, which is awesome, so it’s nutritious as well as delicious.

It has 12 percent of your daily recommended intake of iron, 48 percent vitamin C, and 20 percent vitamin A.

If you made my Mexican Lasagna, you probably have left over corn tortillas, so you can use them in this. For future reference, corn tortillas freeze well, too.

You’ll notice, I give directions as if I am there with you in the kitchen because I know where the pauses are in my recipe and it helps you move faster. You don’t have to de-bone the chicken before you start the soup. If you do, you will add a little extra time to the 25 minutes I said it takes. I try to be as efficient as possible with whatever I make. “Efficient” is a commonly used word in my home and is usually greeted with a mental eye-roll from my husband. I don’t blame him. I strive to be more efficient with everything I do.
This is one efficient, yummy venture. I hope you enjoy it.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 large yellow onion
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin seed
1 large red bell pepper
*1 garlic clove or dash of dehydrated garlic (see my note)
32-ounces reduced sodium chicken broth (one of those boxes of broth)
1 can of corn, drained
½ a bunch of cilantro
4 corn tortillas
1 tablespoon cornmeal (if you don’t have any, just add 2 more tortillas)
1 ½ cups chunky salsa (your favorite brand)
Meat from 1 rotisserie chicken
Avocado to garnish (optional)
*If you want to save time and you’re not cooking with dehydrated garlic, you need to buy some. It’s awesome! I tried it when I visited the New Orleans School of Cooking and I was skeptical, but instantly won over. Now I only use fresh garlic if I am making a dressing or something that must have it. Dehydrated garlic saves me time, effort and I don’t have stinky hands. You can order it online, but I recently bought some from Big Lots, of all places. It was the Big Lots in Rolla, but you call your local store.  It was inexpensive, too.
Directions:
First, chop onion and red bell pepper and set aside (use a food processor, if you have it).
Split a head of cilantro in half and cut the stems off one half. Then bunch up the leaves and slice those and set aside.
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. When hot, add onion, cumin, chili powder and cumin seed. Stir occasionally while it cooks for about 7 minutes. While that cooks, do the next steps but be sure to stir the onion so it doesn’t burn.
Pile tortillas on top of each other, slice them and then cut into small squares and set aside.
Tear the meat off your chicken. Discard the skin or save it for another use. Coarsely chop the chicken and set aside (if you have time; if not, you will get to that in a second).
When onion is tender, add all the ingredients from the bell pepper through the salsa. You do not want to add the chicken yet because it’s already cooked. Bring soup to a soft boil and cook 10 minutes. 

This is what it looks like before it boils


Finish chopping your chicken, if you haven’t already. 

When soup has cooked 10 minutes, drop chicken in and turn off the heat. The soup is piping hot and will quickly heat the meat. See how creamy the soup looks now? Transformed in 10 minutes.




Stir the soup and serve.
Optional: Serve with a slice of avocado, crumbled up tortilla chips, cheese or plain. The calories calculated were plain.

Nutritional Analysis
Good points
High in niacin
High in selenium
High in vitamin B6
High in vitamin C
Bad points

High in sodium
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment