Sunday, January 25, 2015

I can't think of a more fitting day to post this warm, smooth, comforting soup. It's dark, cold and damp outside and this soup will warm you from the inside out.
I wish I could take credit for this brilliant, delicious Creamy, Chicken and Dumpling Soup, but I can't. My husband's cousin's wife made a version of this a few years ago. I don't remember the original recipe. but she used flour tortillas to make the dumplings, which I thought was brilliant.

I normally hate Chicken and Dumpling Soup, but this is creamy and absolutely delicious. Plus, it's SUPER EASY.


Creamy, Chicken and Dumpling Soup
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion
2 stalks celery
1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 soup can filled with water
1 1/ 3 cups mixed frozen peas and carrot
2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
3 (6-inch) flour tortillas
Chop onion and celery. Set aside.
Place tortillas on top of each other and use a knife or pizza cutter to cut into ½ inch rectangles or squares. Set aside.
 Heat oil in a medium-large pot over medium heat. When hot, add onions and celery and cook 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, soup and then fill the soup can with water and add to pot. Toss in frozen peas and carrots and bring to a boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce to strong simmer and add chicken and tortillas. The tortillas serve as dumplings. Cook 8-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve. Serve with a dinner roll so you can sop up all the wonderful soup.

P.S. I sometimes add shelled edamame or corn to this soup. You can see I had  little extra of each and tossed those in. I am always trying to add extra vegetables. My daughter loves this soup

No comments:

Post a Comment